Chat services are not available on the following holidays: Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, New Year's Day, and July 4.
AJCU (Association of Jesuit Colleges and Universities) libraries provide this real-time, chat-based online reference service. Following a chat session, users can request a transcript of their online discussion by email.
Reference librarians and graduate assistants staff this service while on duty at the reference desks at Lewis Library and in the Information Commons. Librarians at other AJCU member institutions and librarians on contract provide back-up and after-hours service. Chat service is not available Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, New Year's Day, and Independence Day.
Guidelines for Use
- Use this chat service to ask questions about research, library resources, and library policies that can be answered in brief chat responses.
- To ask questions requiring lengthy, detailed, or immediate responses, please use one of the other options listed on our Ask a Librarian page.
- Reference staff may ask users with questions too complex for chat may ask to proceed by email or telephone call.
- Library patrons who visit the Reference Desk in person take precedence over patrons using chat.
- Remember that staff members at public service desks answer chat questions, occasionally resulting in delayed responses. Staff make every effort to alert users of a possible delay.
- Harassment and misconduct of any type will not be tolerated. Common courtesies are expected and appreciated.
Who May Use This Service?
Chat is available to all LUC students, faculty, staff, and alumni, but questions from patrons not affiliated with LUC will also be accepted. Only current students, faculty, and staff will have off-campus access to licensed databases and online resources.
The University Libraries are dedicated to protecting your privacy. Providing your email address allows us to send you a transcript of the session, or to send you additional information related to your question. We will not share your email address or use it for other purposes. Transcripts of chats are kept for quality control and training purposes only. Detailed privacy information is available.