Open-access, sustainable, and secure resource created to preserve and provide access to research, scholarship, and creative works created by the university community for the benefit of Loyola students, faculty, staff, and the larger academic community. Includes faculty scholarship, peer reviewed journals, digitized theses and dissertations, and yearbooks.
Collections of digitized and born-digital materials held by the Loyola University Chicago Libraries.
A variety of collections and exhibits running on the Omeka platform.
Exhibit of the history of student activism at Mundelein College 1940-1970.
Bishop Francis C. Kelley Papers were digitized by the Archdiocese of Oklahoma City to be hosted at Loyola University Chicago. Bishop Kelley's Papers relate to the Catholic Church Extension Society Records which are located at Loyola University Chicago Archives and Special Collections.
This exhibit explores the life and legacy of Fr. Damen, who was born in the Netherlands in 1815, and came to America to become a Jesuit missionary in 1837. In 1857, he arrived in Chicago and founded Holy Family Parish on the city's near west side. In 1870, he founded St. Ignatius College next to Holy Family Church, and he served as its first president from 1870-1872. St. Ignatius was rechartered as Loyola University in 1909.
Established in 1905 by Father Francis C. Kelley, the Catholic Church Extension Society provides funding and resources to dioceses and parishes in the United States that lack resources. The Extension Society has helped to build churches, educate and support clergy and seminarians, and has assisted clergy in providing service to Catholics in all areas of the United States as well as in Puerto Rico, Guam, and the Philippines. These collections are from the CCES Photograph Collection and records at the Loyola University Chicago Archives and Special Collections.
Lectures from the Third Centennial Symposium "Current Evolution of Man's Sense of Values", held January 5-7, 1970.
The Century of Progress World's Fair ran from 1933 through 1934 in Chicago. The images in this collection were taken by Samuel Insull, Jr.
College of Dentistry yearbooks between 1912 and 1993, with the majority of the collection earlier.
Images of Chicago from collections at the Loyola University Chicago Archives & Special Collections.
Yearbooks for the College of Commerce (now the Quinlan School of Business). For most years information for the College of Commerce will be found in the Loyolan yearbooks.
Edward William Kelly received his degree from Loyola University Chicago in the 1920s after beginning his college career at John Carroll University near Cleveland, Ohio. Kelly made a name for himself by hitchhiking to California and India with friends on very limited budgets. He also worked on several ships during college and in his early career as an accountant and researcher. This exhibit highlights Kelly's travel experiences and his early career after graduating from Loyola.
Documents and letters written by founding fathers and presidents, including Abraham Lincoln, Alexander Hamilton, and John Adams.
Didactic and additional primary source material to accompany the G is for Gorey—C is for Chicago: The Collection of Thomas Michalak exhibit.
Raymond V. Schoder, S.J., lectured widely on many topics including Gerard Manley Hopkins, S.J. This exhibit highlights Schoder's lectures on Hopkins' life, travels, and poetry using both his lecture notes and photographs he took to accompany his lectures.
One of the largest dairy farms in Lake County.
Exhibit of Loyola architecture and features.
The history of Holy Family Parish (Chicago, IL) is highlighted through items from Loyola's Special Collections.
An exhibit of the life and work of political cartoonist Art Young, active throughout the first part of the twentieth century.
Images and Photographs from the Jesuitica Collection.
Studies and records of the Society of Jesus 1540-1773.
The 19th and 20th centuries are rich with the literary works of women writers who, previous to that point, were largely dismissed by patriarchal attitudes and other societal restraints. A number of women authors between these two centuries received literary fame for their works, but for many, the recognition of their work has declined over time. A book from the University of Otago in New Zealand, In Her Hand: Letters of Romantic-Era British Women Writers in New Zealand Collections inspired this exhibit as a way to pay respect to women writer's whose names and works have been widely forgotten. In this exhibit, five women writers, Joanna Baillie, Alice Brown, Mary E. Wilkins Freeman, Louise Imogen Guiney and Sarah Orne Jewett, and their letters are presented. All of these women established themselves in literary circles throughout the United States and the United Kingdom and produced great works of literature, poetry, drama and essays. Through their letters, we gain a glimpse into the personal lives and relationships of these literary experts. All letters are from the Autograph Collection at the Loyola University Chicago Archives and Special Collections.
Fr. Henry Dumbach, S.J. founded Loyola Academy as an all boys high school to serve Catholic families on Chicago's north side. Dumbach Hall, the original home of the Academy, was the first building constructed on what would become Loyola's Lake Shore Campus in Rogers Park. This exhibit explores Loyola Academy's history as well as the many extracurricular activities at the school.
Commencement programs listing graduates, faculty, university administration, and speakers from 1898 to present.
Course catalogs and bulletins of St. Ignatius College and Loyola University Chicago from 1870 to 2002. This collection includes catalogs for the Collge of Arts & Sciences, School of Social Work, Stritch School of Medicine, Niehoff School of Nursing, Chicago College of Dental Surgery, School of Business Administration, School of Education, Institute of Pastoral Studies, the Graduate School, etc.
Loyola's student newspaper was established in 1924. It ran under the name the Loyola News until 1969. The name was changed to the Loyola Phoenix in 1970.
Digitized theses and disserations from masters and doctoral students at Loyola, starting in 1929 and contining through the mid-90s, plus current documents dating to 2012.
A historical timeline of Loyola University of Chicago 1870-2015.
A collection of history, traditions and customs of Loyola Univerisity students, staff and faculty.
Images documenting the people, places, and events at Loyola Chicago.
An exhibit detailing the history of the twenty-four Presidents (23 Jesuits and 1 layperson) who have guided Loyola University Chicago since its founding in 1870 as St. Ignatius College.
The Loyolan, Loyola's yearbook, was first published in 1924 and remained in publication until 1986. The Loyolan primarily includes information about all the colleges and schools of Loyola, however for some years the College of Commerce (now the Quinlan School of Business), the School of Medicine, and the Chicago College of Dental Surgery have separate yearbooks. The Rome Center also publishes a separate yearbook.
For some years no issue of the Loyolan was published, most notably for 1974 however it was also not published from 1943 to 1946 during World War II. In addition, for 1952 to 1954 a souvenir issue of Cadence was produced to replace the Loyolan.
Photographs from the March Madness 2018 Men's Basketball NCAA Tournament
The Michalak Collection features 19th century British satire and caricature in books and broadsides.
Digitized versions of the class photos taken each year of Mundelein graduates from 1932-1993.
The Mundelein College Photograph collection consists of approximately 20,000 photos and negatives. This is a small sampling of the images from the collection that have been digitized. Please contact email@example.com for more information.
The Sisters of Charity of the Blessed Virgin Mary (BVMs) founded Mundelein College in answer to George Cardinal Mundelein's call for a Catholic college for women in Chicago. The college opened its doors to its first students in 1930 as the world's first self-contained skyscraper college for women. During its sixty year existence, Mundelein offered its students a comprehensive liberal arts education, pioneering such programs as Weekend College, graduate religious education for women, graduate liberal studies, and Latina outreach. The Mundelein College Foundations exhibit collection consists of 64 items, spanning from the groundbreaking for the school's Skyscraper building in 1929 to its dedication in 1931. These items were selected from the Mundelein College Records and Photograph Collection and include correspondence, architectural drawings, newspaper articles, and photographs related to Mundelein College's founding, construction, and dedication.
Mundelein College published the inaugural issue of its student newspaper The Skyscraper on January 30, 1931. The Skyscraper informed the Mundelein community about local and national events as well as "all the news, views, rumor, and humor of the students of Mundelein College." The newspaper was an entirely student-run operation and continued to be published until May 1969. Various other student newspapers replaced The Skyscraper after 1969 until 1991, but none equaled the longevity and prominence of The Skyscraper.
The Mundelein College Yearbook Collection contains all eight of the yearbooks produced over the life span of the college. The years covered include 1931, 1932, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1971, 1972, and 1985. Every page, including advertisements, front and end matter, has been digitized.
This exhibit is a digital interpretation of the booklet "One Hundred Years of Knowledge in the Service of Man" created for Loyola University Chicago's Centennial in 1970. The booklet was produced by Michael J. Ward, Director of Centennial Public Relations, Loyola University of Chicago and designed by Gene Tarpey. The text is reproduced in full, however images have been substituted as necessary.
Oral histories about the founding of the Peace Studies program.
A history of the Peace Studies program at Loyola University Chicago, including oral histories.
Margaret (Peggy) Roach was born in Chicago on May 16, 1927 and had a career than spanned over fifty years, only retiring five years before her death on April 20, 2006. The Peggy Roach online exhibit explores Peggy's early life, her leadership in high school and college, her accomplishments as a front line civil rights activist in the 1960s, her continuing work for civil rights and social justice for the disadvantaged and poor, her commitment to justice through religious inspiration, and her many awards.
History and work of the Chicago Women's Club.
Digital versions of rare books held by Loyola University Chicago Archives and Special Collections, including items from the Columnian Exposition, Chiswick Press, and Jesuitica.
The Schoder digital collection is a selection from the slides taken by Rev. Raymond V. Schoder, S.J., who taught in the Classical Studies department at Loyola University. The Schoder collection consists of 17,000 slides taken from approximately 1950 to 1986 and includes classical sites of Ancient Greece, Ancient Rome, and Ancient Egypt; sites in the Middle East, Asia, South America, Europe, Soviet Union, and the United States; architecture; and art. The digital collection currently includes over 230 images pertaining to Ancient Egypt; Ancient Greek settlements; the Soviet Union; and Japan, Hong Kong, and Taiwan.
Rome Center yearbooks covering the years 1964-2009.
The St. Ignatius Collegian began publication in 1901 and continued until 1912. In 1913 it was renamed the Loyola University Magazine. The publication includes essays, poems, and articles written by students as well as information on what is happening at St. Ignatius College and information from other Jesuit schools.
Programs from the Annual Award Dinner held by the Stritch School of Medicine. Starting in 1950, these programs include information on Stritch Medal and Sword of Loyola awardees.
Yearbooks from the Stritch School of Medicine covering 1985-2008, plus older selections from the early 20th century.
In May 1986, Loyola University Chicago awarded Ignacio Ellacuría, S.J., rector of the University of Central America in San Salvador and a well-known liberation theologian, an honorary doctorate. Three years later, he was one of the six Jesuits, along with their housekeeper and her daughter, brutally murdered in their shared home on the university’s campus. The tragedy of the Salvadoran Martyrs became an impetus for worldwide activism and solidarity with the peoples of El Salvador and a call for a broader movement to end U.S. aid to El Salvador. This movement was alive and well at Loyola.
This exhibit reveals the ways in which faculty, staff, and students at Loyola responded to the conflict in El Salvador and the murder of Fr. Ellacuría and his fellow priests. Using archival footage of Ellacuría's visit to Loyola, as well as images and documents from a variety of sources, this exhibit shows how Loyola played a central role in the solidarity movement in the 1980s and early 1990s.
Rev. Baumhart served as Loyola University Chicago's twenty-first president from 1970 to 1993. As the longest serving president at Loyola, Rev. Baumhart implemented many changes and opportunities for growth on all of Loyola's campuses. By 1993, as a result of Baumhart's efforts, Loyola Chicago became a financially stable, nationally recognized university with a research-focused faculty. This exhibit explores Baumhart's early life, presidency, post-resignation life, and university legacy.
This exhibit traces the history of the Legion of Young Polish Women from its founding at the beginning of the Second World War (WWII) to the present. The exhibit is divided into four sections; the first three sections are arranged thematically, exploring the Legion’s founding and early years (1939-1950), the organization’s activities and causes, and its iconic events. The final section of the exhibit explores how the Legion of Young Polish Women has continued to remain a vital part of Chicago’s Polish-American community and what it means to its members.
For the past 150 years, Loyola University Chicago has been a vital part of Chicago's educational world. Combined with the story of its now-affiliated neighbor from 1930-1991, Mundelein College, Loyola's history speaks to the broader history of Catholic higher education, the college experience, and Chicago. Then and Now: 150 Years at Loyola University Chicago displays some of that history through the themes of social justice and faith, student life, and Loyola's multiple campuses. Along the way it explores how Loyola University Chicago has changed over the years, where it is today, and what it might look like in the future.
Photographs and negatives documenting student life at Loyola including athletics, Curtain Guild, and campus scenes.
Today was a national Catholic magazine published by-monthly during the school year by CISCA (Chicago Interscholastic Catholic Action) an organization founded at Loyola during the 1920s. The magazine reports on Catholic and social justice issues. The issues in this collection run from 1946 to 1956.
The Loyola University Chicago (LUC) Women and Leadership Archives (WLA) Voices from Mundelein: Media Portal documents the experiences of members of the Mundelein College community during the institution’s operation between 1930 and 1991. The portal showcases the stories of women religious as part of the Sisters of Charity of the Blessed Virgin Mary (BVMs) who operated the school, as well as led instruction of the college’s courses. The site also contains recollections of the college’s alumnae as they reflect on classes, extracurricular activities, and periods of religious and political change. Lastly, Voices from Mundelein features the experiences of lay faculty and staff as they shaped and transformed Mundelein College from the 1960s onward into a more inclusive institution for people of color and adult students. This web portal presents more than thirty interviews within a context that documents and describes the development of Mundelein College as a Catholic women’s college in Chicago that changed with the times.
The Women in Science exhibit focuses on the contributions women have made to the field of science over the past 100 years, highlighting several key collections in the Women and Leadership Archives. Such specific areas as biology, botany, chemistry, earth science, nursing, physics, and psychology both within the world of academia and outside of it are just a few of the disciplines that women have contributed to. Numerous photographs, articles, authored textbooks, awards and certificates of achievements, letters of correspondence, pamphlets, and various forms of scientific paraphernalia help illustrate just how large of an impact these women have had throughout the years. The exhibit includes materials from such collections as the Alice Bourke Hayes, Ph.D. Papers, the Katherine DeLage Taft Papers, the Mundelein College Archives, and the Visiting Nurse Association North Records. Please contact the archives at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.