New Fall 2020: The University Libraries is migrating to a new system for accessing online resources from off campus, called OpenAthens. The process for accessing online library materials from off campus will not change – you will continue to log in with your Loyola username and password, but the log in screen will be the same as for other Loyola services like Outlook. OpenAthens provides access to electronic resources from any off-campus location.
During the migration period, you will still access some resources using the Flagship proxy server. The overall process is the same, and you will use your UVID and password to log in to Flagship. While you do not need to log in to Flagship before searching, the instructions are available below for reference.
Due to the nature of our contractual agreements with publishers, Loyola alumni and guests do not have access to electronic resources from off-campus. Library users from the Health Sciences Division must log in at the Health Sciences Library website for off-campus access.
How to Connect to OpenAthens
There are several ways you can connect to resources from off campus:
You can browse our databases and electronic journals from the Libraries homepage. Once you click on a database or electronic journal, if you are already logged in to a Loyola service such as Outlook you should be automatically forwarded. If not, you will log in with your Loyola username and password, and then you will be able to access the resource you selected.
If you are searching using a search engine and find an article on a publisher's website, you can attempt to log in using OpenAthens and your Loyola information (look for the text that says either OpenAthens or Login via My Institution). However just because OpenAthens is listed does not mean that we subscribe to that resource.
How to Connect to Flagship
You can access our electronic resources from off campus two ways.
- Log in directly to the Flagship proxy server with your Loyola username and password. You can then continue to the Libraries’ homepage, Research Databases, or Subject Guides.
- You can browse our databases and electronic journals from the Libraries homepage. Once you click on a database or electronic journal, a Flagship proxy log in screen will appear. After you log in with your Loyola username and password, you can access the resource you selected.
Having Trouble Connecting?
If you are having difficulty with access or logging in, please follow these steps:
- Retry your username and password to ensure there are no typing errors. You do not need to add "@luc.edu" after your Loyola username.
- Check to see if you can log into a different Loyola University service such as your Outlook email. If not, you may need to reset your password. You can do this in Loyola Password Self-Service. If your password does work for other Loyola services, please contact the ITS Service Desk. Your account may not be currently authorized for off campus access, which most commonly occurs when you switch roles at the university, e.g. moving from an undergraduate to a graduate program.
- If you are a Health Sciences Division member, please contact HSL@luc.edu or 708-216-9192.
- For further questions, please contact us at email@example.com or 773-508-2654.