Visitor Access Policies
Visitor access to the University Libraries, including the Information Commons (IC), Cudahy Library, and Lewis Library will resume on Tuesday, September 7.
Visitors are required to submit the following items upon entry to the IC or Lewis Library. Visitors may check in between 8AM and 5PM, Monday-Saturday. No visitors will be admitted after 5PM. Those checking in before 5PM may stay after 5PM but no reentry is permitted. There is no visitor access on Sundays.
- (1) A valid, government-issued photo ID (driver’s license, state ID, or passport).
- (2) A COVID-19 vaccine record card showing proof of COVID-19 vaccination.
Alumni, Friends of the Libraries, those from reciprocal institutions, and guests of Loyola patrons may check in between 8AM-midnight or library closing time, Monday-Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Those groups will need in addition to ID and proof of vaccination:
- (3) An Alumni Card, Friends of the Libraries Card, or ID from a reciprocal institution as applicable. (Click link for information on obtaining an Alumni Card, Friends Card, or to verify Loyola’s reciprocal agreements.)
Guests of Loyola patrons must be accompanied by a Loyola student, staff, or faculty member with a valid Loyola. Guest of Loyola patrons must provide a government issued photo ID and COVID-19 vaccine record card showing proof of vaccination.
All visitors including Alumni, Friends, those from reciprocal institutions, and guests of Loyola patrons must leave the buildings prior to midnight or the closing time of the building.
No visitors including Alumni, Friends, those from reciprocal institutions, and guests of Loyola patrons are permitted in the IC between midnight and 8am.
In addition to the above requirements, please note that per the City of Chicago’s and Loyola’s current mask policies, masks are required in all public spaces and in all buildings at all Loyola campuses. Visitors should plan to bring masks with them.
Standard Access and Usage Policies (see above for Fall 2021 exceptions)
- Loyola students, faculty, staff, and administrators must present a current Loyola ID at the entrance to the library, and are encouraged to wear them while visiting. A current Loyola ID is the University-issued photo ID with a barcode and a proximity chip that opens the security gates at the entrance to the Libraries.
- Alumni will be admitted to the Lewis Library, Cudahy Library and Information Commons by presenting their Loyola University Chicago alumni card and a government-issued photo ID.
- Guests will be permitted access to Cudahy Library and the Information Commons during daytime hours. Guests accompanied by current Loyola ID holders may be admitted to the library after presenting a government-issued photo ID at the library entrance. The Loyola ID holder will take full responsibility for his or her guest(s).
- Students from institutions with which Loyola University Libraries has reciprocal borrowing agreements may be admitted, provided they have current and valid photo IDs from those institutions. More on reciprocal borrowing.
- Faculty from any educational institution who show a current photo ID card will be admitted.
- Visitors from another library with an InfoPass may be granted access, but must present a government-issued photo ID along with the InfoPass upon entering the Libraries. The University reserves the right to deny the application of any requestor and access privileges may be revoked by the University at any time.
- A Loyola tour guide must have current Loyola ID and provide the number in the tour group upon entrance to the Library.
- The University Libraries reserve the right to limit access to Loyola students, staff, faculty, and alumni during and immediately prior to finals.
- The Cudahy Library is a depository for U.S. Government publications. These items are available to the general public during daytime hours as specified for public users.