The Loyola University Libraries Undergraduate Research Paper Award seeks to recognize and reward outstanding research conducted by undergraduate students at Loyola University Chicago. Any undergraduate in any discipline is invited to apply for the award, which will be judged by a cross-disciplinary panel of librarians and Loyola faculty members.
The first- and second-prize winners will receive a $500 and $250 prize, respectively, that will be presented during Loyola’s annual Weekend of Excellence, April 11-13, 2014.
The Loyola University Libraries Research Paper Award is different from other research paper awards in that it judges not only the paper itself, but also reflection on the research process, role of the library’s resources and services, and quality of research.Submissions for the award will be evaluated based on the quality of the following: (1) faculty letter of support, (2) student research reflection statement, (3) the paper, and (4) the accompanying bibliography.
Application Rules & Procedure
Works submitted for the award must meet the following requirements:
- An original research paper completed for a Loyola course .
- By only one author.
- Author must be a current undergraduate Loyola student who is enrolled for Spring 2014.
- Paper must be researched and written within calendar year 2013.
- Length must be between 2,500 and 10,000 words.
- And must also include a bibliography or works cited list.
Resources used for research:
- May be from any library, however, the reflection statement should include information about library collections or services used.
- May include, but are not limited to, books, articles, government documents, statistical resources, or primary sources.
- May be in any format including paper, electronic and micro formats (microfilm, microfiche, etc.).
- Only one entry is allowed per person per year.
- All required materials must be submitted electronically by 5 p.m. on Monday, March 3, 2014, to the library by e-mailing them to LibraryPrograms@luc.edu
Required submission materials:
- A completed and signed Application Cover Sheet.
- The completed paper, (in pdf format)including title page and bibliography.
A research reflection statement consisting of one to two pages explaining your research process and how library resources and services contributed to your final work. The research statement must include your name and the title of your paper at the top of the page. Along with any other pertinent information about your research, your reflection statement should include:
- a description of your research process
- types of resources and services used to accomplish your research
- any difficulties encountered
- what you learned about doing research
- A letter of support written by the Loyola faculty member for whom the paper was originally written that addresses the quality of research and writing demonstrated by your paper. The letter should verify that the paper was written to fulfill a course requirement and include the course name and number, as well as the semester the course was taken. Faculty should fax the letter as "attention URPA" to 773-508-8691, or e-mail to LibraryPrograms@luc.edu with "URPA" in the subject line.
- The decision of the judges is final.
Dates to Remember:
- Deadline for submissions – March 3, 2014, 5:00 p.m.
- Winner Notification, April 4, 2014
(Acknowledgement: This award is modeled on the undergraduate research paper Award sponsored by The MU Libraries at the University of Missouri-Columbia.)