The University Libraries offer research assistance via cell phone text messages (standard message rates apply). To send us a message:
- Send a text to 773-570-1888
Texts are answered immediately during reference hours. Texts sent after hours will be answered the next day.
About This Service
This service is staffed by reference librarians and reference graduate assistants while on duty at the physical reference desks at Lewis Library and in the Information Commons.
Guidelines for Use
- Use this service to ask simple, quick questions (up to 160 characters) that can be answered in brief responses (up to 320 characters). If our responses exceed 160 characters, they appear as 2 messages.
- To ask questions requiring lengthy, detailed, or immediate responses, please use one of the other options.
- If a question is too complex to be handled via text message, reference staff may ask the patron to contact the Reference Desk via telephone or e-mail.
- Library patrons who visit the Reference Desk in person will take precedence over patrons using this service.
- The Library does not charge for this service, but charges from your cell phone provider may apply. These charges vary among plans and among telephone providers. The Library does not take any responsibility for any charges your mobile phone provider may assess you for sending or receiving messages while using this service.
- Harassment and misconduct of any type will not be tolerated. Common courtesies are expected and appreciated.
Who May Text Us?
This service is directed primarily at LUC students, faculty, staff, and alumni, but questions from patrons not affiliated with LUC will be accepted. However, only current students, faculty, and staff will have off-campus access to licensed databases and online resources.
The University Libraries are dedicated to protecting your privacy. he service provides us with an internal record of received text messages which includes the phone number from which a message was sent, date and time of the transaction, and a complete transcript.