Available 24/7, AskLive virtual reference service is provided by AJCU colleges and universities throughout the country to provide reference assistance via real-time chat messages. Following a chat session, you can receive a transcript of their online discussion in their e-mail.
AskLive is staffed by reference librarians and graduate assistants while on duty at the reference desks at Lewis Library and in the Information Commons. Additional back-up and after-hours service is provided by librarians at other AJCU member institutions and librarians on contract with Tutor.com.
PUT YOUR OFFLINE OPTION HERE by inserting whatever HTML you want, such as an email form.
Guidelines for Use
- Use AskLive to ask questions about research, library resources, and library policies that can be answered in brief chat responses.
- To ask questions requiring lengthy, detailed, or immediate responses, please use one of the other options listed on our Need Help? Page.
- If a question is too complex to be handled via chat message, reference staff may ask the patron to contact the Reference Desk via telephone or e-mail.
- Library patrons who visit the Reference Desk in person will take precedence over patrons using AskLive.
- Remember that your question is being answered by a staff member at a public service desk in the Library. There may be delays in response time, as things come up in the Library. We will make every attempt to alert you when cause for a delay occurs.
- Harassment and misconduct of any type will not be tolerated. Common courtesies are expected and appreciated.
Who May Use AskLive?
AskLive is available to all LUC students, faculty, staff, and alumni, but questions from patrons not affiliated with LUC will also be accepted. However, only current students, faculty, and staff will have off-campus access to licensed databases and online resources.
The University Libraries are dedicated to protecting your privacy. When you use AskLive, you are asked to provide your name, relationship to LUC, and email address, but it is not required. Providing your email address allows us to send you a transcript of the session, or to send you additional information related to your question. We will not share your email address or use it for other purposes. Transcripts of chats are kept for quality control and training purposes only.